Subscribe:

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Friday 15 July 2011

Simple Steps to Write "Inspired By" Poetry, With Examples, Techniques 1 to 4

I define "Inspired By Poetry" as poetry that has it's creative germ in someone else's work. This work could be a famous painting, hymn, song, book or poem. It is not a form a plagiarism because it is not taking someone else's ideas as your own. Rather, it is a time-honored artistic concept--drawing inspiration from the creative works of others.
With that definition in mind, I would like to share two simple ways to create poetry that has been inspired by the creativity of others, and two techniques that work for me:
  • Read a poem and search your soul for inspiration on a similar subject:
Shel Silverstein's poem "Invitation" that appears on page 9 of The Light in the Attic inspired this poem:
Welcome
Come in, Come in
Wherever you are
Let's travel near and far
Imagination will be our ship
Into it we will slip
  • Talk to a friend about something important to them, and write a poem for them
I visited a friend, Shirley Howlett, who is dying of cancer. One of her friends, Julie, was there. Shirley told Julie that we were both poets, and had both been published in Mobius, The Poetry Magazine. I suggested to Julie that she write a poem too. She declined, and asked me to write one. We talked about her relationship with Shirley. Shirley talked about her relationship with Julie. Here's the result:
Dialogue
We're friends!
Julie:
Just because you're you
I love to gaze into your facets.
Shirley:
I don't know why, except
It feels good.
  • Pick up a stuffed animal, ask a question that it could answer, and write a poem about that answer.
I own a stuffed bear. It looks a bit on the lost side. I asked myself, "What advice would a bear tell you about believing in yourself?" Here's the response:
By HoneyBear
Believe in Yourself
When no honey is to be found
Roar silently
Stand tall; stand proud
Look within
  • Make up a concept and write a poem about it.
I asked myself what type of poem a pet dog that is hungry might write. Here's the response.
Anticipation
By Whoof
They'll be home soon.
They'll come right through that door
Scratch behind my right ear
Open the cold box
Make a fire dance
Soon, a million-billion atoms
Drift, flow, rush, seek out every bit of my nose
A cacophony of sizzle:
My ears stand at attention.
There's my piece!
My teeth sink slowly into it.
Steak night!
They'll be home soon

No comments:

Post a Comment